What is the difference between Invisalign and traditional braces?
If you’re thinking about Invisalign as your first step towards a straight smile, now is the time to think about the benefits and how they differ from traditional metal braces.
Invisalign is popular
More than 3 million patients worldwide have now started treatment with Invisalign without the need for old-fashioned traditional metal braces. Today is definitely the day because your smile shouldn’t have to wait any longer to arrive.
What is Invisalign and how does it work?
Invisalign is a series of virtually-invisible aligner trays, which to some patients feel and look like a mouthguard. These aligners are fitted on the teeth to gently coax the teeth into shape.
The principle is essentially the same as braces. However, in comparison to traditional braces, the aligner trays move the teeth over time in the direction of the trays.
In order to work properly, the invisible aligner trays need to be personalised to the mouth of each patient. After every visit, throughout the course of your treatment, you will be issued with a new set of aligners. Each set basically builds on the last one. What this means is that your teeth continue to move throughout the treatment.
What are the advantages of Invisalign in comparison to traditional metal braces?
Like other teeth straightening options, such as traditional metal braces, Invisalign is another effective way to straighten teeth. With this type of orthodontic treatment, there are many different advantages including:
- Removable – Invisalign is removable, unlike traditional braces which are fixed. This makes it easier to clean your teeth as well as maintain your oral health during the orthodontic treatment.
- Discreet – The clear, plastic material that Invisalign is made from make them practically invisible. As an alternative to traditional braces, most people will not even realise you are wearing them until you tell them!
- Daily lifestyle – If you have a special occasion coming up, you can take your Invisalign off and put them back in when you’re done. It is that easy! You do not have to worry about your orthodontic treatment interfering with your daily lifestyle.
- Comfortable – If you are worried about getting braces because of the discomfort and pain that follows, think again! With Invisalign, you do not have to worry about the metal brackets that can irritate your gums and inside of your mouth.
- No diet restrictions – Just because you are wearing Invisalign it does not mean you have to undertake diet restrictions. In fact, you will be able to enjoy your apple and crunchy nut bar during lunch!
- Fewer appointments – Most patients using Invisalign only require adjustment visits approximately six to eight weeks apart, which is less than having traditional metal braces.
How do I know if Invisalign is for me?
Dr Lester is a specialist orthodontist with over 20 years of experience and 10 years teaching as a clinical tutor at the University of Sydney in the discipline of orthodontics. By taking detailed records of your teeth and jaw, as well as undertaking an extensive analysis of your oral health, Dr Lester can assist you to determine whether Invisalign is the right option for you.
The time and cost of orthodontic work will depend upon the type of problem you have and amount of treatment needed in order for you to achieve the best results.
If you are someone who needs an orthodontic treatment, then contact us today at Ortho3 Orthodontics to book a consultation at one of our Sydney practices.